Monday, June 13, 2011

"It hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse." -Ann Trason

I jumped on the "let's eat healthy" bandwagon and I’m on the “workout, workout, workout” one too. How many bandwagons can I be a part of? First of all just so you know, I DESPISE running. I don't like how my legs rub together, I don't like hearing my feet hit the pavement. I hate sweating. I don’t like other people to see me working out and I especially don't like my heart beating so frivolously that it feels like my chest might explode at any given moment.

On Saturday I promised my daughter a nice bike ride around the park. So I grabbed my HRM, a pony tail holder, and my sunglasses. I’ll be damned if I will let anyone see me as I decide to try this running thing. I thought about the C25K run. So I thought okay, after 5 minutes of walking, I will jog a little. By this time, I was on the main street walking up a slight hill to the park, so I decided I’d wait and run though the park. When we got to the side walk that runs though the park, it was very uneven and bumpy, sooo…I thought I’d wait until it go smoothed out a bit. Now, I’m about 20 minutes into my walk and finally I thought, okay..I’ll give this a try. I started jogging slightly. Staying just a head of my daughter. C25K you are supposed to warm up for 5 minutes, jog 60 seconds, walk for 90 seconds..and so on. This is supposed to go on for a total of 30 minutes. Does anyone know how long 60 seconds is? When you think you are dying…it seems to go on forever. I was only able to make it for 3 intervals before I thought screw this…I look like an idiot, and my legs already hurt.

Before you start thinking, oh look, she already gave up-you’re wrong. Today, I do plan on doing it again. I will stretch before I go, I will walk only for 5 minutes and I will at least do the 3 intervals again. Maybe even 4. Hey..it’s a start, and everyone has to have a beginning.



What is the point of running around my neighborhood…letting all my neighbors see me at my worst? Breathing heavy, sweaty, messy hair, smeared makeup..or none? REALLY? I have this friend who INSISTS on telling me I need to run with her. Jog, run, do a 5K, a marathon, something. So to hush her up, I agreed to do a 5K in October. She vowed to wow me with vodka if I did it. WTF did I get myself into?

No comments:

Post a Comment